dresser-b4-and-aft
Furniture Uncategorized

Four Drawer Dresser Make-Over

This little beauty was left on the curb in my neighborhood and looked like it was still in good shape, so I slammed on my brakes and pulled over.  It took some doing to get it into the back of my SUV by myself, but I eventually did it, and took her home.

IMG_1192

When my daughter saw it in the garage, she immediately claimed it as her project!  So the following is her story of the transformation of this dresser:

 

20161008_01A-1

Step one was to sand the piece all over.  The picture above shows the side.  We used an electric rotating sander to remove most of the paint.  Since this is a newer piece of furniture, it came from the factory already painted, which meant it would be harder to remove by hand.  You can see the main side piece is actually particle board, and not real wood, but we still didn't give up on her!

 

20161008_02-1

Here's a front view of the newly sanded dresser without the drawers.

 

20161008_03-1

I had to remove all the drawer fronts in order to sand the brown paint off the backs of them.  You can see the drawers standing up behind the table.  And one of our lovely cats decided she wanted to be the foreman and parked herself on the table!

 

IMG_1240

Step two was to repaint the entire dresser in an off white with a hint of pink, using Behr Premium Plus in an Eggshell finish.  The name of the color is Shea (although you can barely see the pink except for in a certain light).  Then we sealed it using a couple coats of Minwax Polycrylic.

 

IMG_1257-2

The third step was to decoupage the fronts of the drawers.  We needed something wide enough to cover the drawer fronts in one continuous piece, and we were lucky enough to find a roll of thick wrapping paper from an online source.  We measured the raised portion of the drawer front and cut each piece to the appropriate size. This gave us one continuous picture on the front of the dresser once all the drawers were finished.

 

IMG_1256-1

Decoupaging the drawer fronts proved to be difficult, since it was our first experience with decoupaging furniture. Using loads of teamwork, though,  we were able to position the paper properly and get all of the stubborn air bubbles out from around the edges. The Mod Podge brand decoupage tools really came in handy to squeeze out the air bubbles and smooth the paper once it had been glued down.

 

IMG_1261-2

Here you can see the decoupaging in progress.

 

IMG_1358-2

And... voilà! We added glass knobs to finish, which we felt really pulled the whole piece together.

 

dresser-b4-and-aft

This project was a great learning experience overall for both my daughter and I.  Our decoupaging skills are ready to be put to more use!

Thanks for reading,

Holly (& Kira)

 

Materials Used:

  • Dresser (free, off neighborhood curb)
  • Behr Premium Plus, Eggshell finish (color: Shea) (Home Depot)
  • Wallpaper (on-line store)
  • Mod Podge & Mod Podge Tools (Michael's Arts & Crafts)
  • Minwax Polycrylic (Home Depot)
  • Glass knobs (JoAnn Fabrics)

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *